More bass, same lure, same spot….


Certain venues seem to need a certain set of conditions to produce results and nothing proves this better than the mark I have recently discovered which has given a few nice fish of late. I fished the spot this last Saturday morning with calm winds fishing high tide down….. not a sniff. I’d fished it previously for an hour immediately after low tide in calm conditions and after low water up in rougher conditions – again nothing happening. The sweet spot here seems to be between 2 and 4 hours after low water in calm or semi-calm conditions when the water is fairly clear and around 2 – 4 feet in depth – no more than that. It produced in these very conditions again for me this morning – three fish hooked with two landed in little over an hour.

I had checked the weather and tide last night as being at home today it gave me the opportunity to fish early plus get home all in time to jump on the work treadmill. Low tide was at around 2:30 a.m. so I got up at 4:30am with the aim of being fishing by 5:15 a.m. just as the day dawned. Arrived and conditions were excellent with the light just changing and the calm conditions I’d hoped for. Short stroll to my favoured spot, Feed Shallow on and I was in business…… second cast and fish on… took a bit of line and staying down it felt like it might be a nice fish but then as it got in closer it made a kick for it and then all went dead… fish off…  didn’t even see it – shame but at least they were out there.

Luckily I didn’t need to wait too long for my next take as half a dozen casts later the lure was snatched almost the moment it hit the surface and this time the fish was obviously well hooked. After a nice little scrap I slid the bass ashore  which weighed in at 3.75lb



Once again on the Tackle House Feed Shallow  – this variety is the Ochiayu which has an orange belly and is darker across the back. It has been very effective for me at this mark.

There was a bit of a lull then for twenty minutes or so before the lure was hit again. This time I had left the lure for a few seconds after it hit the water and had just started to twitch the lure on the retrieve when the take occurred. After another fine little fight a bass of about a couple of pounds came to rest nicely on the weedy rock ledge. You can see clearly the orange belly of the lure in this shot…


After this fish I thought I’d try something different and switched lures to a rattling Z-Claw to see if might induce a strike off the surface but it was to no avail. With time cracking on and work in mind I called it a day – once again very content with my early morning foray. I was home by 7:30 a.m.

Will be keeping an eye on the weather and tides over the next few days to see if there is another opportunity to wet a line – got to take the opportunities when they present themselves after all.

Until next time…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: